share
 

US stocks retreat after setting record highs

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail Xinhua, February 21, 2025
Adjust font size:

U.S. stocks ended lower on Thursday, as investors focused on Walmart's weaker-than-expected sales guidance for the coming year and locked gains following record highs with the S&P 500 Index in the previous two sessions.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 450.94 points, or 1.01 percent, to 44,176.65, while the S&P 500 declined 26.63 points, or 0.43 percent, to 6,117.52. The Nasdaq Composite slipped 93.89 points, or 0.47 percent, to 19,962.36.

Seven of the 11 primary S&P 500 sectors closed lower, with financials and consumer discretionary leading losses, down 1.55 percent and 1.10 percent, respectively. On the upside, energy and real estate gained 0.97 percent and 0.69 percent, respectively.

Walmart shares tumbled 6.5 percent after the retailer forecast sales growth of 3 percent to 4 percent in fiscal year 2026 which starts from Feb. 1, 2025, while its fiscal 2026 earnings outlook fell short of analyst expectations. The weak guidance overshadowed strong fiscal fourth-quarter earnings, which beat estimates.

"Wallets are still stretched," said Walmart Chief Financial Officer John David Rainey.

However, the forecast "raised another red flag just as mounting trade tensions threaten to drive up the cost of goods," said José Torres, senior economist at Interactive Brokers.

"If Walmart is giving bad guidance, you should be paying attention to it," said Tom Fitzpatrick, managing director at R.J. O'Brien & Associates. "Perhaps this is suggesting that the general consumer is tapped out."

Meanwhile, despite concerns over federal job cuts and spending reductions under U.S. President Donald Trump's administration, the latest Labor Department report on Thursday showed no clear signs of these measures affecting the broader economy.

Initial jobless claims increased by 5,000 to a seasonally adjusted 219,000 for the week ending Feb. 15, slightly above economists' expectations of 215,000. So far this year, claims have fluctuated between 203,000 and 223,000.

"Most employees seem to have only received their layoff notices on Thursday or Friday," said Oliver Allen, senior U.S. economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics. "Many laid-off federal employees likely will file for claims in the coming weeks."

Follow China.org.cn on Twitter and Facebook to join the conversation.
ChinaNews App Download
Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from China.org.cnMobileRSSNewsletter
主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产真人无码作爱视频免费 | 激情无码人妻又粗又大| 国产特级毛片aaaaaa| AV羞羞漫画在线观看| 岛国免费在线观看| 亚洲av第一网站久章草| 精品久久久99大香线蕉| 国产日韩一区二区三区在线观看| 91精品国产91久久久久久青草 | 国产精品久久久久一区二区三区| 一级毛片aaaaaa视频免费看| 最近的中文字幕大全免费版| 免费a级毛片无码av| 风间中文字幕亚洲一区中文馆| 大香伊人久久精品一区二区| 一级黄色大毛片| 无码国模国产在线观看| 亚洲国产午夜精品理论片| 精品国产一二三区在线影院| 国产成人精品三级麻豆| 99精品国产在热久久| 好吊妞视频这里有精品| 久久强奷乱码老熟女| 最近免费中文字幕视频高清在线看 | 边吃奶边摸下我好爽视频免费| 国内精品一卡2卡3卡4卡三卡| 中文字幕日韩理论在线| 欧美三级免费看| 伊人色综合久久天天| 色精品一区二区三区| 国产精品夜色一区二区三区| 久久国产AVJUST麻豆| 欧美成人精品三级网站| 亚洲精品一卡2卡3卡三卡四卡| 美女被视频在线看九色| 国产成人精品亚洲| 北岛玲日韩精品一区二区三区 | 天堂资源在线中文| 久久99国产精品| 日本一本一区二区| 亚洲一区在线免费观看|