分享縮略圖
 

CTTA goes to bat for star players

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail China Daily, January 3, 2025
Adjust font size:

Ma Long, Fan Zhendong, and Chen Meng, three of China's most celebrated table tennis players, have been officially withdrawn from the latest world rankings published by the International Table Tennis Federation on Tuesday.

In response, Liu Guoliang, president of the Chinese Table Tennis Association (CTTA), said he would press World Table Tennis to revise its rules, aiming to better the rights and interests of athletes.

Fan Zhendong has caused a stir by "retiring" from ITTF- and WTT-sanctioned events citing rules that will see top players penalized financially for late withdrawals and schedule violations. XINHUA

WTT unveiled its 2025 handbook last month, introducing strict penalties for late withdrawals and schedule violations.

Seeded players who withdraw from main draw events will face double fines and are barred from competing in any other events that week, including club matches and exhibitions.

Top 100 singles players must also submit their schedules six months in advance or risk a $500 fine.

After the introduction of these regulations, Paris Olympic singles champions Fan and Chen announced their "retirement from all ITTF-sanctioned events", including those organized by WTT, on microblogging platform Sina Weibo.

Earlier, during the WTT China Smash in Beijing in October, Ma Long publicly declared that the tournament would mark his final international appearance.

The CTTA issued a statement on Tuesday, praising Ma, Fan, and Chen for their extraordinary achievements on the international stage.

"We respect their decisions to withdraw from the world ranking system, have approved their request, and completed all necessary procedures," the CTTA stated. It added that the association would continue to follow and support the athletes, ensuring they stay in top form, regardless of their future plans and "whether they choose to return to the international stage or focus on domestic competitions".

Liu said that, following the Paris Olympics, the association and the national team maintained close communication with key players, focusing on their physical and mental recovery, training plans and personal arrangements.

"Ma Long, Fan Zhendong, and Chen Meng have brought immense pride to the nation, capturing gold and silver at major tournaments and making significant contributions to Chinese and global table tennis," Liu said. "I fully understand, support and respect their decisions."

He added: "As CTTA president, I am committed to supporting our athletes in defending their rights and safeguarding their interests."

WTT was founded by the International Table Tennis Federation in 2019, which marks a milestone in professionalizing the sport, focusing on athletes and fans, while revamping event and commercial systems to expand its global reach. Responding to recent controversies, WTT clarified in a statement that the rules referenced by Fan and Chen are not newly introduced, but have been in place since its inception four years ago, aiming to ensure top players participate in key events, maintain fairness and deliver high-quality competitions.

Its penalties for non-participation are designed to support the structure of the WTT calendar, ensuring that fans, organizers, event partners and broadcast partners can rely on the participation of the world's top players, WTT explained in the statement.

Fan, addressing the issue on Weibo, said he was never officially informed of the withdrawal fines, possibly due to WTT's previously incomplete calendar. After receiving notice of stricter enforcement for 2025, he decided to withdraw.

Liu called for a re-evaluation of WTT regulations, which he said risk placing undue strain on players. Rules governing participation, zero-point penalties and fines, he suggested, merit further discussion.

"I propose that the WTT consider granting 'participation exemptions' for veteran and decorated players, while establishing a 'prize pool' to reward young athletes who actively compete," Liu said. "Positive incentives can better encourage athletes to compete. Players are the most valuable assets in any sport, and should be treated with care."

Liu underscored the association's ongoing efforts to work with international bodies, including the ITTF and WTT, to push for fairer rules while still protecting the rights of athletes.

Looking to the future, Liu pledged unwavering support for Ma, Fan and Chen, saying: "If they choose to return to international competition, the association will provide every resource necessary to support them."

"Given their remarkable accomplishments and contributions," Liu added. "I am confident they could rejoin the Chinese team as wild-card entries if they so wish."

Follow China.org.cn on Twitter and Facebook to join the conversation.
ChinaNews App Download
Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from China.org.cnMobileRSSNewsletter
主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产一二三视频| 国产精品香蕉在线观看不卡| 久久国产乱子伦精品免费一| 欧美日在线观看| 交换韩国伦理片| 精品国产欧美一区二区| 国产一区二区三区美女| 麻豆视频免费看| 国产男女无遮挡猛进猛出| 亚洲午夜精品一区二区公牛电影院 | 亚洲精品国产手机| 真实的国产乱xxxx在线播放| 四虎免费大片aⅴ入口| 青青青国产精品一区二区| 国产成人精品久久综合| 俺去俺也在线www色官网| 国产香蕉在线视频一级毛片| 9lporm自拍视频区在线| 好男人神马视频在线观看| 中文免费观看视频网站| 无翼乌全彩无漫画大全| 久久亚洲国产视频| 日韩欧美亚洲一区二区综合| 任你躁在线播放视频| 精品无码人妻一区二区三区不卡| 国产三级在线观看播放| 阿v视频在线观看| 国产又粗又猛又爽视频| 高清欧美一级在线观看| 国产成人精品久久亚洲高清不卡| 亚洲制服丝袜中文字幕| 女人被躁免费视频| 一本之道在线视频| 性猛交╳xxx乱大交| 一级黄色片在线观看| 成人3d黄动漫无尽视频网站| 中文字幕av无码不卡| 成人福利电影在线观看| 中文字幕一区在线| 成年人在线免费看| 两个人看的www免费视频中文|